There’s no better feeling than waking up in the morning feeling refreshed after a good night’s sleep. It’s what World Sleep Day is all about. But unfortunately, not everyone is able to do this – especially those suffering with bruxism during the night. If your jaw feels stiff and your teeth ache when you wake up, you may be suffering from bruxism (also known as teeth grinding). The pain might go away as the day goes on, but it’s hard to avoid when it creeps back the next morning. It’s best to treat the condition as soon as you can to guarantee pain-free mornings.
Have a grind-free night this World Sleep Day
What is bruxism?
There are two main types of bruxism: nocturnal bruxism and awake bruxism (this one occurs during the daytime). Nocturnal bruxism is a condition in which you excessively grind your teeth or clench your jaw during sleep. As you’re not awake, these actions are unconscious, so it’s harder to control.
Symptoms of bruxism
The main symptom of bruxism is grinding or clenching your teeth, but other symptoms can arise. Many of these can cause great discomfort as you wake up in the morning. The effects differ from person to person – some effects are short-term and disappear when bruxism does. But some are long-term or even permanent.
- A painful jaw, which can lead to a condition called temporomandibular disorder (TMD)
- Worn-down or broken teeth, which can cause increased sensitivity and loss of teeth and fillings
- Face, neck and shoulder pain
- Disturbed sleep
How to treat bruxism
Start by making lifestyle changes that may be causing your night-time grinding. Did you know that nearly 70% of bruxism cases occur as a result of stress or anxiety? Try winding down in the evening by having a bath or listening to music. Cutting down on alcohol and smoking may also help.
Wearing a mouth guard whilst you sleep can also prevent teeth grinding and clenching. Bruxeeze offers a range of self-fit and custom-fit night guards that can protect you against every level of grinding.
- Bruxeeze Self Fit Night Guard – Easily moulded at home to fit your teeth in under 5 minutes, offering immediate and effective relief from teeth grinding symptoms.
- Bruxeeze Slim Fit Night Guard – Ideal for first-time wearers and mild bruxers. 1.5mm thick with a discreet and almost invisible fit.
- Bruxeeze Pro Night Guard – Provides heavy-duty protection from the impact of teeth grinding and clenching with a thickness of 3mm.
- Bruxeeze Pro Extra Night Guard – Offers an additional level of comfort than the Pro. 3mm thick and a perfect guard to treat moderate-to-heavy bruxing.
This World Sleep Day, take control of your bruxism and have a feel-good morning every day of the week.
World Sleep Day is celebrated on 18th March 2022 with the theme ‘Quality Sleep, Sound Mind, Happy World’. To find out more about World Sleep Day, visit www.worldsleepday.org.